Skip to main content

Hey...I'm the Only White Guy...

Something that happened to me years ago in the military gave me a very good perspective on what it means to be a minority.


Share/Save/Bookmark
My father was in the military for about 30 years.  Although we lived in almost-100%-white St. George, Utah, he still had several black friends--mostly from his military experiences. My father was always comfortable around everyone, even if they were different than him.  I don't know if he was ever in the distinct minority, though.

I remember the first time being the minority happened to me.

I went to Army Basic Training in 1986.  During the Advanced Individual Training (AIT) phase we had a fair amount more free time, so I played a lot of basketball.  Although I hadn't made my high school varsity team, I was a reasonably good player, having averaged about 32 points per game in LDS "Wardball" and helping my team to win something like the Southern Utah regionals.

In Basic Training I had several black friends, including my battle buddy, named Darnell Hardwick.  Darnell was one of the funniest people I ever met, and we got to know each other very well.  Another friend was Private Benjamin (he always went by his last name, so I can't remember his first name).

One evening Benjamin approached me on the outdoor basketball court.  "Hey, we need one more player.  Wanna come?"  "Sure," I said, accompanying him to another cement court on the opposite side of the parade field.

As I approached the other basketball court, it became quickly evident that the game would be played by nine blacks and one white guy--me.  I was intimidated.  Not because I was afraid of them by any means, but because not only did I know that they would all be great basketball players, I knew that I was in the distinct minority.

They were excellent ball players.  But they also made me feel comfortable around them. Which made me sad that the United States has a "legacy" of white people making people of color--particularly blacks--feel inferior.

Should I have felt out of place in a group where every other person's skin color was darker than mine?  No.  Nonetheless, I admit I was.  But that experience taught me that I didn't need to feel out of place.

One thing it did teach me though, was to put myself in the other guy's shoes.  I'm grateful for my dad's experiences and example around people who were different than him.  It's made it much easier for me over the years to look beyond the color of the skin and into the eyes of another friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Clothing and Resurrection: Jesus Christ's Second Coming

The scriptures teach that when Christ comes again to the earth, that he will be wearing red apparel. Why red ? They also teach that at Christ's coming, many of the dead will become resurrected. Will this only include members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? Not by a long shot, no matter what some Mormon might tell you.

To Have the Compassion of an Ogre

At least when it comes to using government as a weapon of compassion, I have the compassion of the ogre. I will explain below why I think government cannot and should not be in the business of compassion. The force of government has caused many people to show less compassion to their fellow men. On the other hand, some of the best things happen when government is not compassionate. In such circumstances, individuals personally begin to display more compassion. One such instance of this happened recently in Utah when the governor asked the legislature to convene a special session in order to (among other things) provide special monies to pay for dental care for the disabled . If they didn't fund the governor's compassion project, it would make the legislators look even more heartless in a year where the budget surplus was projected to be at least $150 million. In spite of these political odds, the legislature did not grant the $2 million that 40,000 members of the disabled

Hey, Senator Buttars: "Happy Holidays!!"

Utah Senator Chris Buttars may be a well-meaning individual, but his actions often don't come out that way. His latest lament, with accompanying legislation that businesses use the phrase "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays", is at least the third case in point that I am aware of. First, we were entertained by the faux pas made by the Senator in the 2008 Utah Legislative session, when referring to an In reality, America has a Judeo -Christian heritage, so maybe Senator Buttars should change his legislation to "encourage" businesses to advertise with " Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas"...? analogy of a human baby, of declaring that " this baby is black ". Then there was the attempt to help a friend develop his property in Mapleton, Utah, by using the force if his legislative office . Let's see if we can top that... Who cares that businesses hock their Christmas wares by using the term "Happy Holidays"? I