Skip to main content

BYU Projected to Appear in NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Championship

Have you filled out your March Madness tournament picks yet? I have, under the name of one of my all-time heroes--Ben Bernanke. Even though I work for BYU, I picked BYU to win one game. But there is one reputable group that picks BYU to make it all the way to the NCAA Tournament Finals.

Determining the real winner is academic...if you know what I mean. In the latest tournament projections from InsideHigherEd.com, Brigham Young University is picked to fall to North Carolina in the championship game. Here's how it could happen:
Back by popular demand, Inside Higher Ed proudly presents its 4th Annual Academic Performance Tournament. As in years past, we have broken down the entire men’s tournament bracket and advanced those teams with the better performance in the classroom.
So who knows? BYU might get trounced in the first round by Texas A&M like they did last year, but apparently, if this were all based on academics, we could make mincemeat of A&M with one hand tied behind our backs.



So does this give me solace that BYU in reality won't make it past the 2nd round of the tournament?

It should. If I worked for BYU-Idaho, which doesn't sponsor intercollegiate athletic programs, it might.

But it doesn't.






Comments

  1. Interesting. I hope they're right, but until BYU wins a first round game I can't have much hope for them.

    Surprisingly, an ESPN analyst predicted that UCONN will be the first #1 seed to fall this year -- to BYU. I really doubt that but hope he's right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they also have pitt losing to e. tenn state, so i don't know how much credibility they really should have. i think byu has a chance against uconn, and i think texas a&m is overrated at an 8, but this time of year, who knows what's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best part is that Utah loses in the first round to UofA, which was my fall-back school if I couldn't get in to BYU.

    Go Cougars.

    And Wildcats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh. I thought Duke would have made it further but they have them losing to Texas.

    BYU's working on a 6 game losing streak in the real tourney, so even one win this year would be great. But I'm not holding my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BYU-ID doesn't support intercollegiate sports? Good for them! I guess I was wrong--there is some good thing at one of the LDS universities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. If you have a Google/Blogger account, to be apprised of ongoing comment activity on this article, please click the "Subscribe" link below.

Popular posts from this blog

Red Clothing and Resurrection: Jesus Christ's Second Coming

The scriptures teach that when Christ comes again to the earth, that he will be wearing red apparel. Why red ? They also teach that at Christ's coming, many of the dead will become resurrected. Will this only include members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? Not by a long shot, no matter what some Mormon might tell you.

To Have the Compassion of an Ogre

At least when it comes to using government as a weapon of compassion, I have the compassion of the ogre. I will explain below why I think government cannot and should not be in the business of compassion. The force of government has caused many people to show less compassion to their fellow men. On the other hand, some of the best things happen when government is not compassionate. In such circumstances, individuals personally begin to display more compassion. One such instance of this happened recently in Utah when the governor asked the legislature to convene a special session in order to (among other things) provide special monies to pay for dental care for the disabled . If they didn't fund the governor's compassion project, it would make the legislators look even more heartless in a year where the budget surplus was projected to be at least $150 million. In spite of these political odds, the legislature did not grant the $2 million that 40,000 members of the disabled

The Legend of Enkidu and Shamhat: Wait!...Did I just Read About Adam and Eve???

The story of Enkidu and Shamhat seems similar to that of Adam and Eve.  See what similarities you can find in my description of the story of Enkidu, Shamhat, and Enkidu's alter-ego, Gilgamesh below.