Skip to main content

Family Fun at the Utah Summer Games

My wife took a couple of our kids to the track and field events of the Utah Summer Games last year. She couldn't get away this year, so I volunteered to take the kids, and, on somewhat of a dare, I registered for and competed in 3 events.

So I figured that if I was going to not look ridiculous, I'd better start training.

It was my son Jacob's first time jumping over a hurdle, let alone competing in a hurdling event, and he was very nervous. It turns out, though, that he's something of a natural in the

An Olympian I'll never be, but I'm well on my way to being much more fit than I've been in about 2 decades.

hurdles, winning the silver medal in his race. He has as one of his goals now to be a hurdler extraordinaire. When faced with attempting new things, he has a lot more courage than I do.

The rest of us, including son Cache and daughter Mauriana, competed in the mid-distance events. Without visiting with each other, we all happened to sign up for the same running events--the 200-, 400-, and 800-meter races. That made it easier to train together, and we all benefited from it.

Each of the kids competed in the long jump, which I chickened out of, because (1) I hadn't practiced enough before we left, and (2) it was scheduled before my running events, which I didn't want to miss by virtue of a long-jumping injury. (For the real story, please refer back to paragraph 3 above.)

I did set three goals, however, as to the times I wanted to run in my races. In all three cases, my race times were faster than my goals, and I actually medalled in two of the events (in both medal events I happened to come in well behind my same-aged and much-more-fit cousin). An Olympian I'll never be, but I'm well on my way to being much more fit than I've been in about 2 decades. On the way home from Cedar City, I established 3 new goals. Next year, a little older, I plan to do a little better.

I don't know now why I didn't compete in track and field as a high-schooler. Now, however,
I can't wait to get out to the track. Our family has now committed that for the rest of the summer, in addition to our morning canyon runs, we'll spend 2 or 3 early mornings at the high school track, not only getting ourselves in better shape, but also bringing ourselves closer together as a family.

Each member of our family has also made a commitment that next year we'll compete in the Utah Summer Games together. We hope to see you there, too.




Comments

  1. This sounds like a pretty fun event... Where do you get more information and get registered for this? I'm thinking it would be fun to get a couple of my tribe involved next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can check it out here.

    For my track and field events, I also thought it was good to look at the results of the prior year, so that I knew what I had to strive for to not look silly!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely something I think I need to add to my race schedule next year! Maybe I'll give the triathlon and some of the track events a go.

    THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. If you have a Google/Blogger account, to be apprised of ongoing comment activity on this article, please click the "Subscribe" link below.

Popular posts from this blog

Red Clothing and Resurrection: Jesus Christ's Second Coming

The scriptures teach that when Christ comes again to the earth, that he will be wearing red apparel. Why red ? They also teach that at Christ's coming, many of the dead will become resurrected. Will this only include members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? Not by a long shot, no matter what some Mormon might tell you.

To Have the Compassion of an Ogre

At least when it comes to using government as a weapon of compassion, I have the compassion of the ogre. I will explain below why I think government cannot and should not be in the business of compassion. The force of government has caused many people to show less compassion to their fellow men. On the other hand, some of the best things happen when government is not compassionate. In such circumstances, individuals personally begin to display more compassion. One such instance of this happened recently in Utah when the governor asked the legislature to convene a special session in order to (among other things) provide special monies to pay for dental care for the disabled . If they didn't fund the governor's compassion project, it would make the legislators look even more heartless in a year where the budget surplus was projected to be at least $150 million. In spite of these political odds, the legislature did not grant the $2 million that 40,000 members of the disabled

The Legend of Enkidu and Shamhat: Wait!...Did I just Read About Adam and Eve???

The story of Enkidu and Shamhat seems similar to that of Adam and Eve.  See what similarities you can find in my description of the story of Enkidu, Shamhat, and Enkidu's alter-ego, Gilgamesh below.